The cause of death of rising rapper-model Chynna has been revealed.
The 25-year-old, who discovered dead at her home in Philadelphia Wednesday (April 9), died of an accidental drug overdose, a Philadelphia Department of Public Health spokesman told PEOPLE. “Chynna was deeply loved and will be sorely missed,” Miller’s family told the outlet after Chynna’s manager, John Miller, confirmed the star’s death earlier this week.
The artist, whose birth name was Chynna Rogers, began her career in music at 14 years old after landing a modeling contract with Ford Models. She later rose to prominence with her affiliation to the A$AP Mob, specifically the late rapper A$AP Yams, who took Chynna under his wing as a mentor.
In 2018, Chynna detailed her experience with substance abuse and entering rehab for drug addiction in an interview with Pitchfork.
“I usually don’t express myself or get open about things until it’s in hindsight, and I’m not dealing with it anymore. That’s why I didn’t tell people that I was a drug addict until I got out of rehab,” she admitted at the time. “I see a lot of artists decide they want to go through s— with their fans, and that’s cool because it gives your fans something to hold onto. But I need to handle it myself first, and then, when I’ve figured out how I want to word it, we can talk about it — y’all not about to go through it with me.”
In sharing her story, Chynna hoped to make others aware “that someone who looks like me or does this could have the same problem as the fiend on the corner.”
During the “Glen Coco” musician’s rise to stardom, Chynna delivered her first project, the I’m Not Here EP, in 2015, and chased the effort with another, Music 2 Die 2, the following year.