These Plants Could Kill You!

We're smack dab in the middle of summer and stuff is growing, but you have to be careful that you...or your kids or pets, don't take a bite out of plants that may be in your garden because they make make you sick, or worse.

Here's a few to look at but don't eat!

Lily of the Valley/Lilies

The little white bell flowers of the Lily of the Valley are pretty, but deadly. The flower has toxic compounds called cardiac glycosides, and eating them can send you to the hospital with symptoms like dizziness, vomiting, rashes and diarrhea. Left untreated, you could die! "Breaking Bad" fans might remember Walter White used these sweet little plants to kill. And don't let your cats eat Easter lilies or day lilies, just a little bite could give your furry friend kidney failure or even kill them.

Hydrangea, a very popular blossom, contains cynanide, a deadly toxin. But you have to eat a lot for it to be fatal, so look but don't eat!

Rhubarb stems are good for making pies, but don't eat the leaves. Too much can shut down your kidneys and kill you.

Foxgloves are in the woods and have pretty bell shaped blooms and berries that could entice kids, but be careful! They contain a compound for treating heart failure, and eating them is like taking an unregulated dose of heart medicine.

Dieffenbachia is a very common houseplant that's easy to grow. It's also called dumb cane and elephant ears that you can plant outside. But if ingested, it can cause your airways to swell shut, and even brushing against the leaves can cause burning and itching. Philodendron, another popular house plant, can irritate your skin and mouth and cause throat swelling.

If you plant Daffodil bulbs this fall, be careful, as the bulbs are the deadliest part of this beautiful yellow Spring flower. If your dog likes to dig and eat, beware...the canine could get convulsions, tremors and cardiac arrhythmia.

You must already know about Mistletoe. This Christmas, have a kiss under this popular yuletide plant, but do not eat! It can cause stomach problems, slow heartbeat and hallucinations in humans, and can kill your pets.

And Next Spring, when Azalea and Rhododendron are blooming and looking picture perfect, know that these plants are highly toxic. Ingesting a flower, stem or leaf could lead to abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, paralysis, coma, and even death!

We love our flowers and plants, but some could be deadly!

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content